#968 Ormsby Review fundraiser, 2020
Will you help The Ormsby Review?
by Richard Mackie
A message from publisher Richard Mackie and the Board of the Ormsby Literary Society.
Advisory Board: Jean Barman, Wade Davis, Robin Fisher, Cole Harris, Hugh Johnston, Patricia Roy, David Stouck, Graeme Wynn.
Board of Directors: Ron Hatch, Eldon Yellowhorn, Imogene Lim, Byron Sheardown, LiLynn Wan, Trevor Carolan, Joanne Arnott, Daniel Francis, Renee Saklikar, Rachel Rose.
Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Readers of The Ormsby Review,
On behalf of The Ormsby Literary Society, its Board of Directors, and our distinguished Advisory Board, we at The Ormsby Review must appeal to our readership for assistance for the first time since the journal’s founding in September 2016.
If you’re a regular reader you’ll be familiar with our unrivalled coverage of BC literature at a time of unprecedented change within North America’s cultural reporting. BC writers and publishers face a diminishing number of opportunities to draw attention to their work. Each year we publish more than 200 insightful book reviews, essays, and memoirs relating to British Columbia’s arts & letters — books, literary profiles, and cultural and historical issues whether they are expressed through fiction, poetry, non-fiction, or the personal essay. In this, we strive to remain at the forefront of supporting authors and publishers of fine work with respect for the plurality and diversity of their voices. Our main categories, listed on our home page, are fiction, poetry, and non-fiction; we explicitly support Indigenous, Black, Asian-Canadian, and LGBTQ2 authors with homepage categories.
In this difficult pandemic time, Ormsby’s service to the community is especially necessary. Shut-in readers are challenged to learn about what is taking place within the world of BC books and authors. During these months of lockdown, they can rely on us as a guide for books to keep them company. Unlike other publications with a paywall, Ormsby is free.
In providing this community service, TOR is asking its readership to show its support financially. Every dollar counts; every dollar makes a difference to help maintain this critically needed journal’s robust delivery of original and insightful reviews of what matters in the world of books and the essential cultural dialogue they represent.
No other journal in Canada can match the critical support and coverage of BC book news and reviews that The Ormsby Review delivers. Week after week throughout the year we stay of top of our subject. Our readership is extensive and is backed up by solid stats. Is our coverage relevant? You bet! Some of our reviews are read more than 2,000 times by readers from throughout BC, across Canada, and internationally. A recent review, Brian Harvey’s review of The E.J. Hughes Book of Boats, by Robert Amos (TouchWood Editions), published November 15th, has already had 1550 readers.
But government support for the literary arts is shrinking. To keep publishing we need your support. If you can help us continue delivering this meaningful journal of literary conversation for our time, please consider making a donation by Interac E-Transfer or Paypal through our secure website.
Or you can send a cheque made out to the Ormsby Literary Society, to:
Ormsby Literary Society
1865 Kitchener Street
We can mail you a receipt, but it won’t be tax deductible.
In a healthy society ideas matter and we at The Ormsby Review are asking you, our readers, if you can help support us financially.
With thanks for your solidarity in this critical fundraising campaign for The Ormsby Review,
Richard Mackie, Publisher & Editor
Consider: Recent unsolicited words of support from Ormsby readers, reviewers, and publishers:
* As a retiree, I value The Ormsby Review because it adds to my quality of life – Oct. 17, 2020
* The Ormsby Review is now the leading voice in discussions on BC and BC-based writers. I look at it often, and have noted a range of reviewing tendencies, from the critical to the affirmative… I want to thank you for building Ormsby Review into the ship it is today! – Sept. 25, 2020.
* I went into 32 Books in Edgemont Village over here on the North Shore today and bought John Moore’s essay collection Raincity (Anvil) after reading the review of it in Ormsby – Nov. 14, 2020
* I am going to get the book now [Terry Reksten on Craigdarroch Castle] to add to my collection. Looking forward to reading it – Facebook comment, Aug. 3, 2020
* Reviews are such an important part of an author’s work and are so much needed and appreciated – Oct. 3, 2020
* As always, your illustrations, including of the relevant books, turn a bunch of words into an experience. Hats off! – Sept. 17, 2020
* Always a delight to read the expansive and evocative reviews in The Ormsby Review, most recently The remarkable Victoria Chung — July 9, 2020
* Thanks again for supporting small publishers – Sept. 18, 2020
The Ormsby Review. More Books. More Reviews, More Often!
Publisher and Editor: Richard Mackie. The Ormsby Review is a journal service for in-depth coverage of BC books and authors.
“Only connect.” – E.M. Forster